A Weekend in Roma


At 7AM on Friday, May 25, 2018, my study abroad class met our spectacular professor so we could board a train to Rome.  With our backpacks, all sixteen of us climbed on to the train ready for our first overnight weekend trip, unsure of what would happen!
Once arrived in Rome we dropped our backpacks off at the Hotel Atlantico where we would stay that weekend and started venturing through the city.  We walked to the Spanish Steps, the Caravaggio in S. Lugi dei Francesi Church, to the Pantheon, Museum and Crypt of Capuchin Monks and of course the Trevi Fountain to throw our coins!  Now the Museum and Crypt of Capuchin Monks is not something many have heard of so I will elaborate a little on what exactly this crazy museum really was!  The museum didn't allow taking pictures but just imagine real bones all over.  The bones seemed a bit blackened because of all the the time that had passed which just made them creepier to me.  The chandeliers were even 
made of these Monks bones!  I would definitely say if you are in Rome to stop and go to this museum because you probably won't see many places like this in your life.  Some of my classmates found the museum very interesting and exciting while others wanted to leave ASAP.  I guess to each their own!  Besides that, we have almost all probably heard of the Trevi Fountain!  You throw one coin to find true love and a second coin so that you may one day return.  With your right hand, up and over your left shoulder they go!  I of course had to throw two in hopes of coming back!

For our lunch break we had free time so my friends and I grabbed some pasta and gelato.  Any one going to Rome MUST go to Gelati by the Pantheon.  Past USA presidents and famous politicians have all gone there, brought back gelato and love the gelateria.  I may not be a USA President but in my opinion the gelato was to die for!  There was a long line but definitely worth the wait.  As the chocolate lover I am, I got a chocolate dipped cone with dark chocolate gelato. Yum!

After lunch we went to the Colosseum because everyone must visit the Colosseum in Rome.  It the structure is amazing and the fact that it is all still standing despite how old the Colosseum is.  All of the architecture in Italy dates back to so long ago.  That evening my friends and I wandered the city in search of a good meal and sight seeing opportunities.  Both were easy to find, because Rome!

On our second day in Italy, my class and I started at Castel Sant'Angelo before going to the Vatican.  This castle actually has a secret/special bridge that crosses over top of the city to reach the Vatican so that those living there could easily go to the Vatican City.  It was very interesting to see and follow the bridge as we walked to the Vatican from there.  The Vatican is it's own country within the city of Rome and houses the Pope.  
I have been to the Vatican before but what I hadn't realized was each room within the museum in the Vatican was put together by each Pope.  They all collect art or specialize in something that interests them personally which gets added to the museum.  The Vatican is a sacred place to be so I was grateful it was on our schedule.  We ended at St. Peter's Basilica before having some free time until later that evening where we went to the outskirts of Rome to see a gladiator show.  It was a hoot and neat to learn about gladiator fights and see some reenacted.  
For our final day we ventured out to the Catacombs of St. Callixtus.  All I have to say is wow!  All the bodies are moved from the floors you visit due to people trying to steal bones back in the day but that doesn't even matter honestly.  As you descend and walk through the underground tunnels it is amazing to think about how once upon a time people dug them and buried their loved ones down there.  These catacombs are for Christians but there is a decent percentage that were not Christian.  Those that weren't were typically babies and children that died before they were baptized.  Sometimes these children bodies were found on streets to not even be dealt with.  When down in the catacombs you see many small spaces in the wall that were dug out for children.

After visiting the Catacombs, I met up with some of my extended family from Italy!  I had met them seven years ago when I visited my family but I was a little one then so I greatly appreciated getting to have lunch and chat with them.  Although I only had a short time with them I enjoyed it and hope tossing my coin in the Trevi Fountain brings me back so I may see them again!

It was a great weekend in one of Italy's biggest cities.  While there we went non-stop which may have caused some stress and aching feet but what can I say?  When in Rome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again Review *NO SPOILERS*

23 Wilmington Locations All 'One Tree Hill' Fans Must Visit

Night Time Drive Playlist